Don’t go into a gym just to workout. Have a purpose. Have a goal. It shouldn’t be something you do just because you think you are supposed to do it. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to be leaner? Be stronger? Look better? Just get a good sweat?
You should have two basic types of goals. Long term goals and short term. Or you can look at this as general and specific.
Looking good naked is a long term, broad goal.
Losing 5lbs by the end of the month is a specific goal aimed towards that purpose.
You accomplish the long term goal by accomplishing many small goals. Most of the time people have long term goals and they think they can just show up in the gym and they will happen.
Here is the important stuff…
- Short term goals must be specific and realistic
- Long term goals are general and realistic but can be a reach
- Have a plan
- Tell people what your goal is. Be accountable. Don’t keep it a secret. It is too easy to get out of if you do.
- Find people with similar goals.
- Don’t have too many at once and keep in mind some will work against each other. (Example: Lost weight gain. Gain muscle. But if you lose weight you will lose muscle. Pick one to concentrate on)
- Body goals are accomplished outside the gym as well. Remember it doesn’t end just because your workout did.
- Take action. Be ready to adapt if you plain is failing. Don’t give up or spin your wheels just because you had the wrong approach.
If you have been don’t have a plan or a goal you will fail because you have nothing to accomplish. Write it down. Share it no matter how embarrassing it is for you. The only real reason you don’t want to share it is because it gives you and excuse to give up and fail and no one will know. Don’t be that person. Be brave.